Medications required by students during the school day are governed by the requirements set forth in the New Jersey Guidelines for School Health Services.
The policy for the administration of medication by the school nurse is as follows:
- Medication must be brought to the school nurse in its original container. It will be stored in a locked cabinet at all times.
- Both prescription and over-the-counter medications must be accompanied by a physician's written order and a parental note stating the name of the drug, the reason for the medication, the dosage and time of administration.
- Medication shall be dispensed by the school nurse or parent/guardian only in school and/or on school trips.
- Written medication orders for students who are on a regular program of medication must be renewed in writing at the beginning of each school year.
- With proper authorization as per policy #5141.21 the board shall permit self-administration of medication for asthma or other potentially life-threatening illnesses by pupils both on school premises during regular school hours and off-site or after regular school hours when a pupil is participating in field trips or extracurricular activities.