PROSPECT PARK SCHOOLS
Home of the Spartans
In the early days, the children went to a district school located on North 8th Street and Goffle Road. In 1889, a frame building was constructed at Brown Avenue near North 9th Street in Prospect Park. Before the new building was completed, a large tent was pitched on the site and the sixty pupils from the North 8th Street School began attending school in the tent.
In April 1903 the school was named the Prospect Park Borough School with Edward W. Garrison acting as principal. By 1904, 400 students attended the school and additional facilities were needed. In 1907, voters approved the brick addition to the original frame building.
In 1911 a fire destroyed the original frame part of the school. A $25,000 bond issue was quickly approved to build another brick addition. The school now included 21 classrooms, a principal's office, and a teacher's room. In 1928, an auditorium was added.
In 1976 a six-room wing was added to the building and the school program expanded to include additional special education, remedial services, and teaching staff. In 1991 the basement was renovated to accommodate a cafeteria, special service, and special education classes.
In 1997, a community action group was formed to review a renovation and new construction project to the school building. COPE, Community Outline for Planning Effectiveness, presented recommendations for renovation and construction to the Board of Education. In 1999 the Prospect Park community approved an $8 million dollar referendum to expand and upgrade the school facilities. Eight new classrooms, a library media center, a gymnasium/auditorium, a technology lab, and new administrative offices were built to accommodate over 750 students and 70 teachers.
The school community has changed over the years and the ethnic diversity of the students in the school reflects the community. Students work together to establish friendships while they prepare for life after school.